Voici les différents panneaux du circuit patrimonial Mélusine :

Circuit Patrimonial Mlusine 01 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 02 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 03 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 04 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 05 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 06 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 07 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 08 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 09 menuCircuit Patrimonial Mlusine 10 menu

 

Château

Circuit Patrimonial Melusine 01

The Château

Do you know why the château was originally built on its specific location?

chateau 01

A history rooted in mediaeval times

The château de Vendeuvre is among the longest-standing in the Aube region.
The first evidence of a château in the villa of Vendeuvre dates from 962 B.C., at the end of the Carolingian reign.
It was almost certainly a ‘castle mound’, a sheltered dwelling for the first lords in the 10th century. This château, erected near the source of the Barse River, was the focus of the war for succession between the last Carolingian pretender to the throne and Hugh Capet. It was destroyed in 987 B.C.
Several counts passed on their titles to their heirs until 1221. The seigniory was subsequently taken over by Hugh, Count of Champagne and Master of Troyes. To the north of the castle mound, a powerful dungeon with a high square tower was erected during the 12th and 13th centuries, featuring an indented surrounding wall and several other towers. A large seigniorial dwelling was built to the south, and a chapel was constructed to the east. Together they formed the ‘high court’ which was accessed from the south across a drawbridge and through a gate closed by a portcullis. This space was the lord’s prerogative. The outhouses of the château, where servants and tradesmen were lodged, were constructed around the existing dovecote. This was known as the ‘low court’. The fortress was taken apart in the second half of the 17th century, in accordance with Cardinal Richelieu’s 1626 edict ordering the destruction of feudal castles.
The present-day seigniorial dwelling was reconstructed at the end of the 17th century on the lower parts of the mediaeval buildings, incorporating a tower from the original 12th-13th-century château.
Many lordly lineages have succeeded one another in the château since the 13th century. Its fiefs have on occasion been fragmented and often, for want of male heirs, passed on by marriage or sold to regal officers alongside all the benefits of the surrounding lands.

chateau 02

Equestrian Seal of Miles X. de NOYERS as it appears on the charter that freed the inhabitants of Vendeuvre in 1341.

chateau 03

chateau 04

chateau 05

chateau 06

Lords who made history

Thus, prominent families succeeded one another: The VENDEUVRE, BROYES, DURNAY, NOYERS, MELLO, AMBOISE LA ROCHEFOUCAUD, LUXEMBOURG, MESGRIGNY, BOUTHILIER DE CHAVIGIER, PAVÉE DE PROVENCHÈRES DE VENDEUVRE, and the BOURLON DE SARTY.

chateau 07

The hydraulic ram

The source of the Barse River lies at the foot of the château.
The comfort of the lords improved when Joseph-Michel MONTGOLFIER invented the ‘hydraulic ram’ in 1796. He imagined a device to force the water of the Barse River to rise up to the level of the château which can still be seen today, just off the Grande Rue.

Paramétrages de cookies

×

Cookies fonctionnels

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Contenus interactifs

Ce site utilise des composants tiers, tels que NotAllowedScript63d524a6d4cfcReCAPTCHA, Google Maps, MailChimp ou Calameo, qui peuvent déposer des cookies sur votre machine. Si vous décider de bloquer un composant, le contenu ne s’affichera pas

Session

Veuillez vous connecter pour voir vos activités!

Autres cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.